Most of us, if not all, start the New Year by creating goals or resolutions in mind which we commit to achieving! Sticking to these goals is not only hard but impossible for most people because they may not know the best way to achieve these new goals. Below are 9 tips on how to create positive goals and how to stick to them!
- Start with the previous year: Make a list of all your accomplishments in the previous year and use them as a base for your next year resolutions. This will not only help you with a head start but will make your New Year resolutions more realistic. If you can see the finish line your brain will push you towards it ensuring that your goals are realized.
- Embrace positivity: Embracing positive goals rather than negative ones will help you focus more on the positive approach of life. Rather than setting a goal like “Not eating junk food”, set a goal for “Eat healthy food”. This will help you bring a positive outlook to your life instead of focusing on the negativity.
- Focus on positive habits: Incorporating positive habits in your daily routine will help you change your mindset and embrace a positive outlook of your life. Habits such as Meditation, exercise, etc. can help you shed those negative feelings that you have been having. A recent study showed that writing or sharing 3 things one is grateful for every day, will have a significant higher levels of job satisfaction, job effectiveness and lower stress levels.
- Don’t make excuses: Excuses make us weak and they are the main enemies of progress. Our mind can come up with great excuses of why we should be doing something unhealthy or regressive which is why we have to mindful of our activities. Try to keep track of your goals and daily accomplishment so that you don’t fall for the trap of making excuses.
- Kick Procrastination to the curb: Some of us tend to do things at the last minute then make excuses as to why we couldn’t do it earlier. We need to stop procrastinating and do things that need to be done; it’s that simple. Instead of going to the gym on the 1st of January you can start now with light exercising (walking, jogging, 20 minutes/day exercise or yoga) to get a head start on your work out.
- Don’t compare yourself to others: Try not to focus on what you don’t have. When we focus on what others have we tend to get jealous of others. Remember that comparing yourself with individuals with different lives, different lifestyle and different accomplishments is unrealistic. Focus on what you can achieve and not what others have achieved. This will help you create a positive mindset for you to achieve your goals.
- Scared of failure: Instead of focusing on what is the worst thing that can happen to you in the distant future think about what you should do and what will be the best outcome for this exact moment. While it is inevitable that we encounter failure, getting intimidated by what will happen if you do is a path to failure.
- Reduce Stress: This is one of the most important points for a positive mindset and achieving our goals. Work and life can become too hectic and may cause you to lose focus. Try to set aside 20 minutes a day for some “me time” and focus on your goals. Make sure that there are no distractions like phone calls, emails or messages. Giving 100% attention to yourself will help you find meaning in your life.
- Break your Resolutions into smaller ones: We tend to make New Year resolutions for the whole year, instead break our resolutions in smaller resolutions which you can achieve each month of the year. This will help you be on track with your resolution and help you achieve what you have been dreaming of.
While it is impossible to predict when we are ready for a change or whether we can control it, it is true that we get determined for a change after a long period of pain and denial. Sometimes something forces us to change and it may lead us to be a better person. However sometimes we have to be the something which makes us change for the better!
We would love for you to share your goals with us! Just post directly in the comments. Links to other posts, videos, etc. will be deleted.
If you need help getting started on your new goals check out our Growth Courses!
Happy New Year!!